The Berry Bros. & Rudd Quiz
Author: Henrietta Gullifer
Round 1: I Heard it through the Grapevine
Scientists have theorised that listening to music can change the flavour of a wine. When Neil Diamond sung about red, red wine we like to think he was thinking of a fruity Californian Cabernet or a meaty Argentinian Malbec. He is certainly not the first singer to have included a reference and he won’t be the last.
- Which member of the band The Black Eyed Peas owns a winery in California specialising in Syrah and Viognier?
- In 1827, which composer’s final words are said to have been, “Pity, pity, too late!” after the case of wine he had been promised did not arrive on time?
- Which 1974 song by the band Queen quotes the line “She keeps Moët et Chandon /in her pretty cabinet / ‘Let them eat cake’ she says / just like Marie Antoinette”?
- Which band sung the song Champagne Supernova in 1995?
- Which drink were Flanders and Swann singing about when they sung the song “Have some ______ M’dear”?
Round 2: Hollywood and Wine
James Bond drank his way from Mouton Rothschild to 50-year-old Macallan Scotch whisky; Miles and Jack debated Californian Pinot Noir and Merlot; and Gatsby favoured Moët & Chandon Champagne. Wine has found its way into a huge array of films, how many have you come across?
- Which famous Bordeaux château’s wine does restaurant critic Anton Ego order to go with his meal in the Disney film Ratatouille (2007)?
- What sort of wine does Hannibal Lecter order to accompany his liver and fava beans in the film Silence of the Lambs (1991)?
- The film Bottle Shock (2008) about the infamous Judgement of Paris’ tasting event held between Californian and French wines in 1976, stars Alan Rickman as which famous British wine expert?
- Throughout the James Bond films, Bond drinks various different brands of Champagne. But which brand is he served by Dr No in the very first film Dr No (1962)?
- Which former celebrity couple jointly own the Provence wine estate Miraval?
Round 3: Cocktail Conundrums
Spirits have played a huge part in the Berry Bros. & Rudd business over the years and our No.3 Gin – which had a leading role in Kingsman: The Golden Circle – has even been named the world’s best gin. We all have our favourite cocktail, but can you guess the drink just from the ingredients?
- Gin, vodka, vermouth
- Tequila, lime, triple sec
- Cranberry juice, vodka, Cointreau, lime juice
- Campari, gin, vermouth
- Champagne, lemon, sugar syrup, gin
Round 4: Quick Fire – Double or Nothing
Built to test your general wine knowledge, this round is worth double points if you get all the answers right. But get a single question wrong and you get nothing…
- Which grape variety is Chablis made from?
- Barolo is a wine from which geographical region?
- Which wine is associated with the grape varieties Malvasia, Bual, Verdelho and Sercial?
- To put Burgundy on the label, red wines from the region must be mainly made from which grape variety?
- Which botanical gives gin its predominant flavour?
Bonus Round: Who Said That?
Wine has been a constant theme of society from Galileo declaring “Wine is sunlight, held together by water” to when Winston Churchill cited “Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” in World War II. But can you match these famous quotes to their speaker?
- “In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.”
- “Men are like wine – some turn to vinegar, but the best improve with age.”
- “Nothing makes the future look so rosy as to contemplate it through a glass of Chambertin.”
- “Age is just a number. It’s totally irrelevant unless, of course, you happen to be a bottle of wine.”
- “I never taste the wine first in restaurants, I just ask the waiter to pour.”
- Nigella Lawson
- Napoleon Bonaparte
- Joan Collins
- Benjamin Franklin
- Pope John XXIII
If you’re looking for further entertainment, we’re currently offering virtual tastings online. We’ll arrange delivery of wines, glasses and a corkscrew to your guests ahead of a guided tasting with one of our expert hosts. Contact us to find out more